Text to DonateText to donate makes the act of kindness frictionless. It increases engagement because 90% of text messages get read within minutes. It benefits nonprofits by reducing the administrative costs of collecting donations for high-volume and low-dollar transactions.
How It Works
BrandingOrganizations customize the text, images, website links, and workflows to fit their branding and campaign needs. Running A/B tests on campaign variants allows them to maximize returns for each fundraising campaign. The following image shows the user requesting a fixed donation, while a more complex workflow gives the user multiple options on the amount.
Recurring PaymentsCampaigns can prompt users for automated and recurring donations of varying amounts, frequency, and timing. Alternatively, donators can set up an account and respond to movements individually.
Supplemental ServicesA complete solution often needs more than a donation service. Charitable foundations can augment text to donate with on-demand receipts for expense claims and tax returns. The most user-friendly solution is responding to the text message, as shown in the image below. The return comes through a secured web link, and it's possible to set up multi-factor authentication, such as sending the user a code that gets entered into the website.
Some donors wish to remain anonymous or gift in someone else's name. These and many other requirements are doable.
Account SetupCredit card details never go through text messages. A secure solution can do one or more of the following:
- Register on the website.
- Swipe the card on a terminal. That has the advantage of supporting debit cards.
- Use digital wallets such as Google Pay and Apple Pay. They make account setup much easier on mobile devices.
Texting NumbersOrganizations can apply for dedicated shortcodes. These are for organizations with hundreds of text messages a day. Short means the phone number has fewer than the standard number of digits. In Canada, the length is five or six. These numbers do get filtered like regular numbers. However, they must be text only and do not allow images.
Merchant BankingThere are many merchant banking options. The more reliable option is a direct relationship with the bank, not an account aggregator service. The challenge with aggregators is that other organizations' behavior impacts your account's standing. In a direct relationship, they spend time understanding the business, which lowers the risk on your account. That reduces the per transaction fee.
SecurityThe text to donate services must comply with privacy regulations and protect credit card data. A secure solution follows these guidelines:
- The messaging brand makes it easy for donner to validate the origin of the text message.
- Never send credit card data in a text message.
- Protect donors from SPAM by using private phone numbers and avoiding shared services and shortcodes.
- Comply with the Payment Card Industry-Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS) for robust system security. The most relevant rule is never to store credit card data.
- Use 3DS for online payments and EVM for card present transactions.